Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Birthdays, celebrations and history lessons all in one!

Since last Saturday we have celebrated 5 birthdays in our family!!!! July is a busy birthday month for us.

As we celebrate each birthday I try to reflect on how long we have known the person who is having the birthday. I try and remember when we met, what the circumstances were for that first meeting. Now for all of the birthdays we are celebrating this week they have all been family , wonderful, exasperating, crazy, loveable family!!

Birthdays always offers us a chance to see where we have been, and enjoy the fact that we were there. It also offers us a chance to see where we might be going, and depending on where you have landed on the birthday calendar number that may be a long way or for some of us a shorter distance... but never quit going where you want to go no matter your age.

As we celebrated a 60 year birthday, and a 74 year birthday, I was thinking that I have known these people for over 40 years!!!! I met my wife's family when I was 10 years old, and we won't go into how old I am, OK OK you can do the math !!! But we have been family for quite some time, we have shared weddings, divorces, births of our children, saying good by to loved ones for the last time, and through it all we have remained family, we have been there for each other, we have loved each other through life's challenges .

We are like a crazy patch quilt, all of us different; but stitched together by life and its circumstances, and ebbs and flows. Alone we are just a small part of the universe, but together we are a wonderful crazy mixed up family, that I love and adore. We have our problems, and faults, show me a family that says it doesn't and I will show you a family with a great big closet of denial. But with all of our problems and faults we still love each other and need each other. Life is so much fuller because family is in it.

So today call a family member, crazy or not, and let them know you were thinking of them, if you cannot call, write them a note and drop it in the mail. We all need each other in order to make it to our next birthday what ever birthday that is for you..... so Happy Birthday to all go and celebrate, enjoy and eat a piece of cake for me!
Blessings to you and yours Curtis & Sherrie

No comments:

Post a Comment